The above list of Greek Islands shows these islands in the way they are geographically distributed in clusters within the archipelagoes of Greece. This list contains the 115 largest of them as it is impossible to include in such list every tiny one since it is incredible how many Greek islands are there.
- Ionian Islands: Erikoussa, Othoni, Mathraki, Corfu, Paxos, Antipaxos, Kefalonia, Lefkada, Meganissi, Kalamos, Kastos, Arkoudi, Atokos, Ithaca, Petalas, Oxia, Zakynthos, Strofades, Kythera, Antikythera.
- Saronic Gulf Islands: Salamina, Aegina, Agistri, Poros, Hydra, Dokos, Spetses.
- Cyclades Islands: Syros, Naxos, Santorini, Paros, Andros, Mykonos, Tinos, Milos, Sifnos, Kea, Ios, Amorgos, Kythnos, Serifos, Antiparos, Kimolos, Folegandros, Koufonissia, Anafi, Sikinos, Schinoussa, Donoussa, Iraklia, Thirassia, Delos, Makronissos, Gyaros, Polyaigos, Keros, Rhenia.
- Sporades Islands: Skiathos, Skopelos, Alonissos, Peristera, Kyra Panagia, Jura, Pipperi, Skantzoura, Skyros, Skyropoula.
- Northern Aegean Islands: Thasos, Samothrace, Lemnos, Agios Efstratios, Lesvos, Chios, Psara, Antipsara, Oinousses, Samos, Ikaria, Fournoi, Thymaina.
- Dodecanese Islands: Rhodes, Kos, Kalymnos, Leros, Karpathos, Patmos, Symi, Astypalea, Kassos, Nisyros, Lipsi, Tilos, Kastelorizo, Chalki, Agathonisi, Pserimos, Pharmakonisi, Telendos, Arki, Levitha, Gyali, Kalolimnos, Saria Kinaros, Sirna, Alimia, Nimos.
- Crete Island: Crete, Dia, Spinalonga, Koufonisi, Chrisi, Gavdos.
- Evia: Evia, Megalonisos Petalion.
Apart from the above list of Greek islands there are also many which are located near the coast of mainland Greece and do not belong to any of the above clusters. Out of these, of particular interest is Elafonisos which is located just 5 miles off the northernmost tip of Kythera.
Greek Islands, Cyclades, Dodecanese, Ionian islands, Crete, and the islands of the Saronic Gulf: Cosmopolitan or secluded, with beautiful Greece beaches and lush mountains, greek islands promise you a dreamy holiday.
Greek Islands are the best holiday destinations
Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, Skiathos, Rhodes, Kefalonia, Zakynthos: from one end of the sea to the other, the Greek islands and Greece Beaches are the perfect holiday destination. It’s not just the emerald water and the idyllic beaches that make holidays on the Greek islands a world-famous holiday experience. It’s not only the bright light that floods the sea, or the elegant architecture and pure nature. It’s the overall, personalised experience that gives a sense of perfection to these little Greek oases.
Holiday in Greek Islands
A romantic sunset in Santorini’s Oia, that paints the horizon all shades of pink. Dawn on Mykonos, in Little Venice, drinking, dancing and flirting as the sun comes up. The epitome of luxury with a view of the sea from your opulent suite in Elounda, on Crete. Travelling back in time, as you walk through Rhodes’ Old Town and aristocratic Corfu. A stately excursion to Athens’ smaller, nearby islands in the Argosaronic Gulf (Hydra, Spetses, Aegina, Poros). A mission off the beaten track where you’ll discover hidden ‘diamonds’, islands like Anafi, Kimolos and Kastelorizo, Symi, Alonissos, Samothrace and Paxi.
And, of course, seafaring wanderlust in the Aegean, revealing the sea in all its glory: the famous Cyclades with their whitewashed towns and the Lesser Cyclades, as well as the Dodecanese, where you’ll encounter islands blanketed in green, and small paradises of luxury (Patmos, Symi) and tradition (Kalymnos, Karpathos, Astypalaia).
Experiences that are perfected by the smiles of the locals, the hospitality and the culinary delights of the Mediterranean diet, combined with adventures in nature, in the deep, on the waves and on the mountains. Discover the Greek islands, and have the best holidays of your life.
Discover beautiful Greece Beaches
Greece has 6.000 islands in total, scattered in the Aegean and Ionian Seas, of which only 227 are inhabited. They take up 7,500 km of the country’s total 16,000 km coastline.
Spreading in two main seas, the Aegean and the Ionian Sea, the Greek islands are divided into smaller groups. This section is a Greek islands travel guide and will give you information and photos for 62 islands in Greece.
The most popular island group in Greece is certainly the Cyclades islands: Santorini island, Mykonos island, Paros, Naxos and Ios are famous Greek islands all over the world, while the rest of Cyclades keep lower profile in tourism development.
The Cycladic architecture is world famous and the culture of the population is very rich. The islands of Dodecanese and Ionian are also very popular. Travel to Corfu island, Rhodes island, Zakynthos, Kos and Kefalonia also get very popular, while Karpathos, Lefkada, Thassos and Skiathos are islands that are becoming more and more famous every year.
The good thing is that despite tourist development, the Greek islands do not lose their original character and provide wonderful atmosphere for true relaxation. Have in mind that many times, an island and its main village has the same name. Also in Cyclades islands, most capital towns are called Chora. Explore our Greek islands and Greece Beaches guide and find out all useful information you will need.