Are you wondering where is Crete located, is Crete part of Greece or moreover are you searching the map of Crete? Then read on our guide with information about Crete.
Crete captures the spirit of Greece, and enchants everyone who visits it. Heraklion, Rethymno, Chania, Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Ierapetra, Malia, Hersonissos, Sitia, Sfakia: an island with numerous destinations and thousands of vibrant images.
Where is Crete
Crete is the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean and the largest and most populous of the Greek islands. It is 255km long and is divided into four administrative regions, known as Nomos, Chania in the West, Rethymno and Heraklion in the Center of Crete and Lassithi in the East. The island took its name – according to mythology – either by the nymph Kriti or the son of Jeus and nymph Ida, named Kreta. Moreover, the highest mountain in the island has Ida’s name (Idi) on the one hand and the god of the gods, Jeus, was born in Dikteon Antron (in Prefecture of Lassithi).
Crete is the biggest island in Greece and the second one in the Eastern Mediterranean (Cyprus is the biggest one). Because of its size and the fact that it is far from the mainland, it is completely different from the rest of the country. The island of Crete is often called a majestic land. The Cretans speak a very distinctive dialect and have many customs that do not exist elsewhere and are often referred to as Cretan. In Greece, the Cretan people are known to be one of the most unruly and hard-working.
Regions of Crete
Also Read Them
- Discover Crete Island
- What is the current local time now in Crete
- Regions of Crete: Chania, Heraklion, Lasithi, Rethymno
- Top Rated Tourist Attractions & Places to Visit on Crete
- 20 Most Beautiful Beaches in Greece and the Greek Islands
- Thessaly: Home of The Meteora and Pelion in Greece
- Hydra Island: Top Beaches and Attractions in Saronic Gulf
- Santorini Travel Guide – Holiday Budget and Things to Do
- How to get Greek Visa: Information of Passport Requirements
- Santorini Island: An Amazing and Most Famous Greek Island in the World